Portsmouth leiht Gekas - offizielle Bestätigung (!?!)

• http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/…f=news&qs_article_id=2125

News
    Gekas Joins Pompey On Loan
    01/02/2009 20:29
    Neil Weld

Pompey have signed Bayer Leverkusen striker Theofanis Gekas on loan until the end of the season, with a view to a permanent deal.

The switch is subject to international clearance.

The 28-year-old Greece striker will wear the number 29 shirt for the Blues.

Tony Adams believes that Gekas can adapt to life in the Premier League straight away.

He said: “His goalscoring record is fantastic and he’s always looking to score goals.

“He’s always on the shoulder of the last defender, he looks to get in behind the defence and he’s got a great eye for goal. Hopefully that will continue with Pompey.

“He plays for the Greek national team and recently came on against Italy and scored.

“A couple of years ago he was the highest scorer in the Bundesliga. The Bundelsiga is a fantastic league, so that’s not an easy feat.

“I think that he’s really keen to come to the Premier League and get some goals for us.

“He’s a player that I think can come in and do well straight away. He’s certainly hungry to do well and hopefully he can hit the ground running.

“I think he’s got the right attitude and mentality to come in and do well right from the start.

“I’m surprised that he hasn’t played as much for Leverkusen this season but he’s still been useful for them. He’s only played 108 minutes for them in the league and he’s scored two goals.”

Gekas has spent the last two-and-a-half years in Germany after joining VfL Bochum from Panathinaikos in the summer of 2006.

He was a prolific scorer in Greece, netting 84 goals in six years for Larissa, Kallithea and Panathinaikos.

Gekas was just as successful when he joined Bochum on loan with his 20 goals keeping the club in the Bundesliga and making him the league’s top scorer.

From there he joined Leverkusen, scoring 11 goals in 29 appearances during the 2007/8 season.

This season he has found the net three times, although all of his 18 appearances have been as a substitute.