Hyypiä an die Liverpooler Fans und warum gerade Leverkusen (sehr lesenswert und sympathisch!)

• "I have never owned a pair of leather pants. Now I have to buy a pair because as far as I know German beer festivals are part of events players need to attend. I don't mind. It will be an experience just like next summer and autumn when I move to a new league and to new surroundings.

My career has progressed steadily without big changes. In Finland I only played for Mypa, in Holland for Willem II and in England for Liverpool. I can imagine playing in Germany only for Leverkusen. I'm not that kind of player who moves because of financial reasons. Every decision during my career I have thought well and hard trying to find the best option for me as a player. So far I have done well and I can't think of any reason why my move to Leverkusen would be unsuccessful.

Decision to move to Germany eventually happened quickly. I have many offers on the table mostly from Premier League clubs. Liverpool also offered me a new contract but you have to be realistic: I would have not played more than this season. They offered me a chance to gradually move to Liverpool's coaching staff. In theory it was really attracting offer. To have a chance to play every now and then, train with the team and study coaching and to get financially
    good reward. I would have been part of staff in one of the biggest clubs in the World.

I needed to ponder my options. Why did I really want? I came to a conclusion that I still want to be a footballer and only footballer. Physically I'm in brilliant condition and I can play more than I have played this season. Next part was to go through all the offers. With all the respect to other Premier League clubs Liverpool is the only club in England for me. I have spent 10 brilliant years as a Liverpool player and as a "scouser". The club, staff and especially then fans will always be in my heart so strongly that it was easy for me to decide that I won't play for another English club.

Leverkusen contacted me a while ago. They showed in many way that they really want to sign me. I have always admired German football and followed it with a great interest. I have though many times that it would be great to play in Germany. Of course my friendship with Didi Hamann and Markus Babbel played a big part becoming more interested in German football. Bundesliga is a big league, level of football is high and fans are passionate. This is a new challenge for me. Moving from one European top league to another at 35 is a big thing and it tells I've done something right in my career. Leverkusen conviced me in negotiatings. They a have a young and talented team. I'm sure thay wanted some experience and that I can offer. It's an honour for me to have chance to work with Rudi Völler and Bruno Labbadia. Big names like Ballack, Lucio and Berbatov have played for Leverkusen. I believe Leverkusen can challenge for the title next season.

My years in Liverpool were best time of my life. It's time to turn a new page in my life and face new challenges. The change won't be that big: both teams play in red, both clubs start with "L" and on monday number 4 shirt waited me in Leverkusen. But now it I will concentrate on our last three league games. We still have a chance to win make the dream come true and win the league. I can't think of a better way to leave club than as a champion. "